Madison, News, RSS Facebook, RSS General, RSS Twitter, Schools
 By  Michael Hansberry Published 
8:19 pm Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Safety committee, new high school update at city council meeting

Gen. Bob Drolet, head of the 33-member School Safety Task Force committee opened the Wednesday, May 25 Board of Education meeting with good results.

Drolet presented a PowerPoint presentation, which said over the past year, the committee has found that the quality, professionalism, commitment and enthusiasm of all within and supporting the Madison City Schools to be remarkable.

Drolet said the policy and procedure changes the school system has made have been effective in all areas. One of which is the Text-to-Protect line implemented by the Madison Police Department last year.

“Text to protect is extremely useful,” he said. “It’s very, very effective. It is insolubly embraced by students.”

He said when the committee first discussed the line, it thought the next step would be to transition to a similar web-based program. He said Text-to-Protect has been so successful, the web-based program is no longer necessary.

He also said the students react well to School Resource Officers.

“It’s incredible the relationship they’ve built,” he said.

He said the committee is planning SROs needs to support the new high school.

Social media does seem to be a growing problem, he stated.

“The question comes down to how big is the problem getting,” he said. “Social media is a territory for cyber bullying. It’s a form of intimidation is a form of bullying.”

Special programs combined to generate significant involvement, interest and excitement within the entire system.

In conclusion of his presentation, Drolet said things are going in the right direction in terms of safety.

“The entire system is functioning together,” he said. We said in 2010 the system was relatively safe and adequate. It is safer and more secure this year, and on the map, that will continue its positive changes.”

Kevin Gunnison of Volkert & Associates gave an update on the new high school.

Gunnison said the school’s construction is on schedule and the team is 32 to 35 percent complete.

Marty Tatara, supervisor of the child nutrition program said the school system lost $18,929 worth of food when the power went out in the city for almost a week on April 27.

“When you think we only lost 19,000 I know it sounds like of money, if you put it in context, it’s not bad,” she said. “It isn’t good, but it wasn’t that bad.”

Tatara said she is working with accountants to see if any of the loss is covered with insurance.

Also on The Madison Record
High School Football 2026 gets underway this week
b-Sports, Madison County Record, News, ...
Special Teams
Bob Labbe 
August 19, 2026
MADISON - The summer- long workouts are now memories of the past. The pre-season practices are now complete. With both of those facts in the history b...
Huntsville Ballet Company unveils 2026–2027 Season
Events, Lifestyles, Madison County Record, ...
STAFF REPORTS staff@themadisonrecord.com 
August 19, 2026
HUNTSVILLE - Huntsville Ballet announced its dynamic 2026– 2027 season, featuring beloved classics, innovative new works, and immersive audience exper...
MADISON HISTORY: James Alexander Humphrey and Madison High School
Lifestyles, Madison County Record, News, ...
EXPLORING LOCAL HISTORY WITH MARIA
Maria Rakoczy 
August 19, 2026
MADISON - The Humphrey family was among the early families of Madison and many of its members were influential in founding industry and education in t...
High school football players, what makes them tick?
Madison County Record, News, Schools, ...
Bob Labbe 
August 19, 2026
MADISON - Most elite high school football players have a core motivation, an inner reason why they do what they do in the sport they love. Many coache...
Hit-and-Run investigation launched after Huntsville teen killed on Capshaw Road
A: Main, Madison County Record, News, ...
Staff Reports 
August 16, 2026
MADISON - State troopers are asking for the public’s help to find the driver of a vehicle believed to have struck and killed a 16-year-old on Capshaw ...
SANDRA LESTER: A Miracle Mural in MidCity
Living50Plus
MARIA RAKOCZY | PHOTOS BY JOSHUA BERRY 
August 13, 2026
Sandra Lester is known for her colorful art style, evocative of Vincent Van Gogh’s mastery of color and movement. Her art usually graces 11”x14” canva...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *